Notice of Relocation
If you have or are seeking custody, parenting time, or grandparent visitation with a child and you are moving, these forms might help you tell other people who have or are seeking custody, parenting time, or grandparent visitation with the child.
What are the qualifications?
- Relocation forms must be filed with the clerk in the court that issued the custody or parenting time order.
- If there is no custody or parenting order, then your relocation notice needs to be filed in the court that has jurisdiction.
You may not have to file a notice if all of the following are true:
- there’s an earlier court order that addresses relocation requirements including an order that states a person does not have to file relocation notice, AND
- the move will either decrease the distance between your home and the non-relocating person’s home OR the move will increase the distance between your home and the non-relocating person’s home by not more than 20 miles and will allow the child to remain enrolled in the child’s current school.
- Review Indiana Code 31-17-2.2-1
We recommend you set aside 1 hour to complete all forms. Representing yourself in court should not be taken lightly, and there are many reasons why hiring an attorney is a good idea. If you do choose to represent yourself, click here for what you need to know.
We’ve provided instructions on how to complete these forms on your own but representing yourself in court should not be taken lightly, and there are many reasons why hiring an attorney is a good idea. In fact, we suggest that even if you use the forms provided on this site that you still talk with an attorney before submitting the forms to a court to get the best result possible.
You will need information from your case to complete the case caption found on the top of each court form. If you cannot find your paper copy, visit mycase.in.gov to do a search.
Review the Notice to Relocate Instructions attached below. You will use these instructions to complete the Notice to Relocate court forms.
Complete the Notice to Relocate forms packet attached below.
Once the court approves your filed forms, you may need to take more steps. Review the resources in this section for help and information.