Change Child Support When Child is Emancipated & Parents Agree

This form is helpful if you want the court to change child support because one of your children is emancipated, but child support should still be paid for other children you and the other parent have together. This form should only be used if both parents agree.

What are the qualifications?

  1. There is a current child support order between you and your child(ren)’s other parent.
  2. You believe one of those children is emancipated and you want the child support payment to be changed. Read the information below to see if your child is emancipated.
  3. You and the other parent agree on what the child support payment should be.

When is a child emancipated?

For purposes of child support, Indiana law (IC 31-16-6-6) considers a child emancipated if the child: 1. is age 19; or 2. has joined the United States armed services; or 3. is married; or 4. is not under the care or control of either parent or someone else approved by the court; or 5. is at least 18 years old, has not gone to school for the last 4 months, is not enrolled in school, and either is supporting himself or herself, or is capable of supporting himself or herself through employment.

If all of the children you have with the same parent are emancipated, you must use a different form – the Verified Petition to Terminate Child Support due to Emancipation of Minor Child(ren).


Before Starting

We recommend that you set aside 2 hours to complete all forms. Representing yourself in court should not be taken lightly, and there are many reasons why hiring an attorney is a good idea. If you do choose to represent yourself, click here for what you need to know. Modify Child Support with Agreement- Because Child is Emancipated Forms

  • Note that the Agreed Entry Form found in the packet will need to be signed by both parents in front of a Notary Public before it is filed with the court. Many banks and libraries have a notary public available. A notary public will charge a small fee.
  • There are resources available to complete the additional forms you may need for filing your Change Child Support forms.

Get Started


We’ve provided instructions on how to complete these forms on your own but representing yourself in court should not be taken lightly, and there are many reasons why hiring an attorney is a good idea. In fact, we suggest that even if you use the forms provided on this site that you still talk with an attorney before submitting the forms to a court to get the best result possible.

Look Up Your Case

You will need information from your case to complete the case caption found on the top of each court form. If you cannot find your paper copy, visit to do a search.

Read Emancipated Child Support Instructions

Review the Emancipated Child Support-Agreement Instructions attached below. You will use these instructions to complete the Emancipated Child Support-Agreement court forms.

Complete Emancipated Child Support Forms

Complete the Emancipated Child Support-Agreement forms packet attached below.

Complete Additional Forms

Complete a Child Support Obligation Worksheet, review the Income Withholding Order Information, and check Indiana’s Parenting Time Guidelines. The Child Support Obligation Worksheet is located in the Indiana Child Support Calculator resource. All resources can be found here. If you do not file a completed Child Support Obligation Worksheet, the Court may not approve your Agreed Entry, and your case will be delayed.

File Court Forms and Additional Forms

Review the resources in this section for information about filing your Emancipated Child Support-Agreement Forms and the Additional forms with the court.

After a Case Is Filed

Once the court approves your filed forms, you may need to take more steps. Review the resources in this section for help and information.