Paternity Frequently Asked Questions

How Is Paternity Established?

A man is presumed to be the legal father if he and the mother of the child were married at the time of the child’s birth, or if the child is born not more than 300 days after their marriage ends. If the mother of a child is not married at the time of the child’s birth, paternity can be established either by completing a paternity affidavit or by filing a paternity action in court. Learn more about paternity affidavits by clicking the resource here or click this link to go to the form to Establish Paternity.

What If Paternity Has Not Been Established But A Mother Needs To Collect Child Support?

Indiana’s IV-D Child Support Program may be able to help. You can learn more about the program by clicking the resource here.

What If A Man Believes He May Have Fathered A Child And Does Not Want The Child Placed For Adoption?

Indiana has a database of males that believe they may have fathered a child, and that the child may be placed for adoption. You can learn more about the database, including how to register, by clicking the resource here.

After A Paternity Is Established, How Much Parenting Time Will Each Parent Have With The Child?

Parenting time is often agreed to by the parents, but when parents do not agree sometimes the court will order parenting time based on the Indiana Parenting Time Guidelines. You can read them by clicking on the resource found here.

More Information About Paternity And Rights Of The Child

The Indiana Department of Child Services offers helpful information. You can access their website by clicking the resource here.

How Are Forms Filed With The Court?

Information including court rules, filing fee waiver forms, and how to file forms with the court can be found by clicking the resources here.

What If Paternity Has Been Established, But The Child's Birth Record Does Not Show That I Am The Father?

If you want to change your child’s birth record after paternity has been established, you can fill out and file a form asking that the Department of Health to change the birth record. Find the Change of Birth Record Forms attached below.

Free and Low Cost Legal Help

Easily find organizations, services, or legal clinics available near you. Simply enter your zip code or county to get started.

Get Started