Legal Service Providers

Counties: Lake, Jasper, Newton, and Porter
These providers assist people who are low-income.

NWI Volunteer Attorneys, Inc.

Serving only residents of all counties in District A

Assistance possible for the following legal issues: Adoption, Bankruptcy, Consumer, Paternity, Custody, Child Support, Parenting Time, Dissolution of Marriage, Domestic Violence, Landlord/Tenant, Foreclosure Defense, Public Benefits, Wills/POA/Guardianships, and Non-profit corps. We do not handle juvenile, child or youth services cases.

Intake guidelines for District A:

  1. Preferred method and fastest way to get on our waiting list: Go to our website at and download the application found on the “How to Apply” tab.  Also download the additional page related to your type of case.  Complete and return to us – contact information at bottom of page.
  2. If no access to computer, please call 219-945-1799 or 866-945-1799 and leave a message with best time to reach you on Monday or Thursday.

NWI Volunteer Lawyers
651 E. Third St.
Hobart, IN 46342


Client line: 219-945-1799 or 866-945-1799
Attorney, Agency and Judges line only: 219-942-3404

Download an application and links to other legal resources:

Lake County Family Court Assistance

Serving residents of Lake County who have a domestic relations matter in Lake County Courts

Volunteer attorneys can provide basic information and assistance in completing the State of Indiana pre-printed forms regarding domestic relations matters.

Contact the Family Court Coordinator to determine eligibility and set up an appointment for services.
(219) 881-6157
Office Hours: Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m.-4:00 p.m.

City of Hammond Legal Aid Clinic Department

Serving residents of the City of Hammond only

Assistance possible for the following legal issues: Consumer, Public Benefits, Housing, Educational, Guardianships, Landlord/Tenant Disputes, Wills, Living Wills and Family Law

1402 173rd Street
Hammond, Indiana 46320
(219) 853-6611
(219) 853-6313 (f)
Monday-Friday 8:30-4:30 p.m.

Disability Legal Services of Indiana, Inc.

Serving residents of Indiana

Assistance possible for the following legal issues: Adults and children with disabilities who have issues in educational matters.

5954 N. College Avenue
Indianapolis, IN 46220
(317) 426-7733
(317) 282-0608 (f)
Cannot offer legal advice or answer legal questions over the phone
Visit the website to complete an intake form:

Kids’ Voice of Indiana

Serving residents of Indiana

Parenting Coordination information is available here: Parenting Coordination

The Children’s Law Center of Indiana provides legal information to judges, lawyers and the general public on family and juvenile law: Children’s Law Center of Indiana

The Community Mobile Law offers FREE VIRTUAL MOBILE LEGAL CLINIC on Thursdays from 3:00 PM-6:00 PM Community Mobile Law

Over the phone legal services are available at the number below.

127 East Michigan Street, Suite 500
Indianapolis, IN 46204
317-558-2870 ext. 100

Child Support Services

Serving residents of Indiana

Assistance possible for the following legal issues: Establishing paternity (determining the child’s biological father), Finding the non-custodial parent, Establishing a child support order or making changes to an existing support order, Establishing an order for health insurance and medical support for your child(ren), Collecting child support payments, Determining the amount of past due child support

For more information, click here: Indiana DCS Child Support Services

Indiana Legal Services Inc. – Merrillville

Serving residents of Jasper, Lake, Newton and Porter counties

Assistance possible for the following legal issues: Family Law, Consumer Law, Senior Law, Housing, and Public Benefits, Expungement and Driving Issues

7863 Broadway
Suite 205
Merrillville, IN 46410
(219) 738-6040
(888) 255-5104
(219) 738-6050 (f)
Spanish speaking assistance available

Intake Phone: (844) 243-8570
Intake Hours: Monday-Thursday 10:00 AM-2:00 PM (EST)

Click here to apply online: Indiana Legal Services Online Application



Neighborhood Christian Legal Clinic

Serving residents of Lake, Jasper, Newton and Porter counties.

Advice offered by Legal Help Online

American Civil Liberties Union of Indiana

Serving residents of Indiana

Assistance possible for the following legal issues: Civil Liberties or Constitutional Rights Violations

1031 E. Washington St.
Indianapolis, IN 46202
(317) 635-4059 ext. 102
Online form can be found at:

Hoosier Environmental Council

Serving residents of Indiana

Assistance possible for the following legal issues: Environmental and Land-Use Issues

3951 N. Meridian
Suite 100
Indianapolis, IN 46208
(317) 685-8800
(317) 686-4794 (f)

Indiana Disability Rights

Serving residents of Indiana

Discrimination based on disability in the following areas: Abuse, Neglect, Exploitation, Employment, Education, Justice System, Housing, Community Integration, Voting

May also assist with setting up alternatives to guardianship and challenging guardianship.

4701 N Keystone Ave., Ste. 222
Indianapolis, IN 46205

Online help form can be found at:

Translate »