Step 1: Who Should Use This Packet

You should use this form packet if:

  1. You would like to change the name of your minor child; and
  2. The minor child is not in jail or prison; and
  3. You are the parent or guardian of the minor child; and
  4. You are at least seventeen (17) years of age; and
  5. The other parent or guardian has consented, or will consent, to the name change of the minor child.

For the purposes of this packet, a “minor child” is less than seventeen (17) years of age.

Step 2: Important Information About Consent

Consent (or agreement) to the Name Change of a Minor may or may not be required. Consent is not required when, for example, the other parent has abandoned or deserted the minor, failed to communicate significantly with the minor, or if the parent has committed a crime against the child. See Indiana Code 31-19-9 for more information.

If none of the factors in Indiana Code 31-19-9 apply, then consent is required. See Indiana Code 34-28-2-2.

This form packet should be used when consent is required by the other parent or guardian.

Step 3: Read The Instructions

Select and read the ‘Instructions’ packet below.

Step 4: Choose How You Will Complete Your Forms

  1. Fill out the forms. There are two ways you can complete these forms:

(a) You can use a computer to fill in the form blanks. After you fill in the blanks you must print out the forms; or

(b) You can print out the forms and handwrite your answers.

2. Read your local court rules to find out how many copies you will need, and if there are any additional forms or procedures required in your county.

3. Sign your forms and make copies.

Step 5: File Your Completed Forms

  1. Take the originals and copies of your forms to the Clerk of the Court. The Clerk will provide the case number and process the forms. The Clerk will stamp the forms with a filing date and give you back a copy.
  2. The court will set a hearing date when you file your Petition. Make sure this date is filled in on the Notice of Petition for Change of Name.
  3. You will need to take the Notice of Petition for Change of Name for a Minor to the person who handles legal notices in your local newspaper. This Notice must appear once a week for three weeks. The last publication date must be at least thirty days before your hearing date.
  4. The newspaper will send a proof of publication notice to you, which you will attach to the Notice of Filing Proof of Publication and then file these forms with the Court.

Once the name of the minor has been changed, the court will send a copy of the final decree to the state department of health and local county health department.  If the minor is at least 17 years of age, the court will send a copy of the final decree to the clerk of the circuit court or board of registration in the county where the minor resides.  It is your responsibility to inform other government agencies, schools, and other interested agencies and businesses of the minor’s new name.




Translate »