You should use this form packet if 1. You have filed a court action against someone or someone has filed a court action against you; and 2. A hearing has been scheduled in this action; and 3. You need more time to either prepare for the hearing, obtain an attorney, or cannot be in court on the scheduled day for the hearing.

Filing these forms does not automatically give you a continuance, or postpone your case. Also, even if your motion is granted, you may not get the time you requested.

You are encouraged to file these forms as soon as possible. The time requirement for filing will depend on your Court’s local rules. Check the rules or call the Court to check on this.

Step 1: Read The Instructions

Select and read the ‘Instructions’ packet below.

    Step 2: Complete Your Forms

    1. Fill out the forms. There are two ways you can complete these forms: (a) You can use a computer to fill in the form blanks. After you fill in the blanks you must print out the forms; or (b) You can print out the forms and hand write your answers.

    2. Read your local court rules to find out how many copies you will need, and if there are any additional forms or procedures required in your county.

    3. Sign your forms and make three (3) copies of the signed, completed forms.  Stamp three (3) envelopes to bring with you to the courthouse when you file your forms.

    Step 3: File Your Completed Forms With The Court

    1. Take the originals and copies of your forms and your stamped envelopes to the Clerk of the Court that the other court documents were filed in. The Clerk will stamp the forms with a filing date and give you back a copy.
    2. Mail one stamped copy of each form that you filed to the other party’s attorney, or the other party if he or she is not represented by an attorney.
    3. Leave two stamped envelopes, one with your address and one with the other parent’s address.
    4. You can choose to e-file these forms, but print them first.  Then scan them back into your computer.  E-filing fillable forms causes errors in the e-filing system.  You can find out more about e-filing here: E-file Indiana